We are becoming a separate company

In April 2019, Electricity Transmission is becoming a separate company within the National Grid Group. Find out more about what this change will mean.

Landowners, occupiers, and grantors

Our electricity network traverses urban and rural areas of land that are owned and occupied by third parties. The areas of land surrounding our equipment are constantly subject to change and development. This page provides you with an overview of the main areas of interaction, related publications, and contact details. 

Grantors (landowners and occupiers)

Most electricity transmission apparatuses (such as high voltage overhead lines, pylons, or underground cables) are on or under third-party land.

Before we can install and operate electricity assets on land we do not own, we require rights from the owner or occupier of that land.

These landowners are known as grantors and we're committed to maintaining a successful working relationship with them.


How to contact us if you are a grantor

Lands officers provide a day-to-day point of contact for our grantors. You can also contact us if you have any questions about compensation, reinstatement, maintenance or refurbishment plans in your area - our team will be happy to help.

If you have any queries, please telephone 0800 389 5113 and select from the following: 

  • Wayleave payments and change of name/address/ownership of land - Option 1
  • West and Wales - Option 2
  • East and Scotland - Option 3
  • South - Option 4

Useful documents for grantors

Please click on the relevant heading below to read or download documents.

Payments and terminology
Access to land for maintenance and refurbishment

From time to time, we require access to land to inspect, maintain, and refurbish high voltage overhead lines. We have a duty to maintain the transmission system and power supplies, so we need quick and easy access to our equipment. 

Our rights of access to do maintenance and refurbishment work are contained within the wayleave agreement or permanent easement with the landowner. 

Overhead power lines are inspected on a routine basis both by foot and helicopter. We also have to climb pylons. Refurbishment of overhead lines can involve: 

  • Replacing conductors, insulators, and associated fittings; 
  • Painting pylons; and
  • Works to the pylons and their foundations. 

New technology is helping us to reduce the disruption caused by these things, but during major refurbishment safety scaffolding may need to be put up over properties, roads, and other development.

Minor refurbishments (such as repainting) are usually needed every seven years. Major works tend to happen much less frequently. 

Find out more in the following documents:

Installation of high voltage underground cables

Overhead Transmission Lines

Guidance on Land Rights

Environmental and Engineering Surveys




Electric and magnetic fields (EMFs)

Our EMF unit helpline manages enquiries from members of the public, including prospective homebuyers, sellers, and their professional advisers who may be concerned about nearby electrical equipment. 

The EMF unit provides relevant information to concerned individuals and will undertake field measurements as appropriate. We can also supply literature for home sellers to pass on to agents, prospective vendors, and their advisers. 

We are not aware of any UK mortgage lender that has a policy of refusing mortgages for properties near overhead lines because of EMFs. 

Download the EMF factsheet

Safety around electricity lines

On the Electricity emergencies and safety advice page, you can find out more about safety issues around our overhead lines and underground cables, including:

  • Agricultural operations near overhead power lines;
  • Trees and vegetation near overhead power lines;
  • Leisure activities near overhead power lines;
  • Birds; and
  • Noise from lines.

Enquiries about our assets

If you have any questions or need more information about our network assets, please contact Cadent's Plant Protection team.

Cadent provide first-line support for our assets so you can:

  • find out if it's safe to dig before you start
  • find out where underground electricity cables and gas pipelines are buried
  • report any works you are planning in Britain.

Phone: 0800 688 588

Email: [email protected]

Dial before you dig

If you're a farmer, landowner, or otherwise working on land, you can find out more about working around our network equipment by downloading the 'Dial before you dig' guide.

Download here


Line search

You can also check if your works will affect our transmission network by using the Linesearch website.

Visit website


Gridline magazine

Download the latest version of Gridline, the magazine for landowners.

Gridline Spring 2018

Find out more